I have decided to start selling digital prints on Etsy because I enjoy creating graphics and I have started to get quite good at it.
My new income stream will involve not only selling pre-made graphics but also selling custom-made graphics. This means that my customers can send me a digital photo file and I will restyle it using Photoshop as a:
- oil painting
- poster art
- and many other styles
Potential categories of photos could include:
- children or grandchildren
- pets - particularly dogs and cats
- birthdays and other special occasions
Potential cross-selling opportunities include:
- get customers onto a list and cross-sell other styles or occasions
- offer a mounting or framing service or personalised gift offers by reselling services from a site like Photobox or Digital Print Design.
- offer this a premium service to professional photographers
- offer discounts or time-limited coupons for repeat sales or bundle offers
- offer graphics for websites
- offer colour or style variations to graphics
Generating traffic to my shop on Etsy
Here are some ways that I could generate traffic to my shop on Etsy:
- re-listing items on Etsy brings them to the top of the category - (20 cents per listing)
- using SEO techniques on Etsy by inputting keywords and tags
- creating a 'Treasury' on Etsy
- having a lot of listings and cross-selling other listings
- doing promoted listings on Etsy
- using paid ads on Bing - 5 cents per click
- using paid ads on Buzz City - 1 cent per click
- using Pinterest by putting my output on this social media site and linking to my Etsy shop (- free)
- videos on YouTube showing the graphics being made(- free)
- sending emails to my list. (I will create the list by having draft images on a secure area of my website so clients have to register to see their draft image.)
- using other social media sites like Facebook (- free)
The important thing is to try one traffic method at a time and track conversion rates and profitability
Other marketing notes:
- get testimonials from customers to add into my marketing
- use differentiated pricing to test price-points - pricing partly based on time to complete each job and complexity of creation.
- Offer 'specials' to existing customers on my list and incentives for re-ordering
- I live in a tourist town - I could hand out leaflets to stylise their holiday photos. (1,000 leaflets cost £15 at Vistaprint). I would offer a coupon code to track traffic from this source.
- use mock-up images to show how graphics could look as a mounted picture, leaflet, book cover design, poster etc
- I could also offer a graphics creation service on the Warrior Forum in the Warriors for Hire section.
The costs of listing each item on Etsy is 20 cents for 4 months - to list 100 items for a full year is $60 and they take 3.5% of each sale. In accordance with EU laws, they also add VAT to the price and settle VAT on the vendors behalf. They also deduct 3.5% of each sale as a transaction charge.
This article is a brief outline of my business plan for selling digital prints on Etsy.